Latest News

Mining Heritage Monuments

Together with a sister organisation, Brighter Bothwell, the Historic Society commissioned two monuments to celebrate the village’s mining heritage. The first, a replica of the bogies or small wagons which carried the coal from the coal face to the surface was unveiled by John Lindsay and Harry Steele, two former miners from the Castle Colliery and is situated near to the site of the miners’ homes at the corner of Fallside Road and Uddingston Road. The second monument is a plaque recording the history of the Castle Colliery and is to be found at the foot of the remains of the bing (spoil heap) which is at present covered by trees and plants. The area is now a wildflower garden dedicated to the miners. The plaque may be found at the junction of Uddingston Road and Blantyre Road and was unveiled by children from our local primary schools.


The Bothwell Bell

Many people in Bothwell will remember with pride, gratitude and affection the contribution to the life of this community made by the late Sheriff Frank Lunney. In his work with St Bride’s Church and School, with the Community Council and with the Twinning with Jouay en Josas Frank laboured tirelessly for Bothwell. For may years he was custodian of the ancient village hand bell. His wife Elizabeth and their family have generously placed Frank’s papers and the bell in the care of Bothwell Historical Society to remember all he did to make Bothwell a better place.The papers will be placed in our archive and the bell will be displayed in the Heritage Centre collection.







FEBy 1861