Together with a sister organisation, Brighter Bothwell, the Historic Society commissioned two monuments to celebrate the village's mining heritage. The first, a replica of the bogies or small wagons which carried the coal from the coal face to the surface was unveiled by two former miners from the Castle Colliery and is situated near to the site of the miners' homes at the corner of Fallside Road and Uddingston Road. The second monument is a plaque recording the history of the Castle Colliery and is to be found at the foot of the remains of the bing (spoil heap) which is at present covered by trees and plants. The area is now a wildflower garden dedicated to the miners. The plaque may be found at the junction of Uddingston Road and Blantyre Road and was unveiled by children from our local primary schools.
The earliest library in Bothwell was almost certainly in the mediaeval collegiate church for the use of the clergy. Bothwell House (New Bothwell Castle), former home to the Douglas and Douglas-Home family contained a splendid library which was visited by the writers, James Boswell and Sir Walter Scott. The latter wrote his poem, "Young Lochinvar" and sections of "Marmion" while visiting Bothwell. The library was broken up and sold in Glasgow prior to the demolition of Bothwell House in 1930.
To recognise 140 years of service to the community, Bothwell Historical Society has presented a visitors' book to he Library. the Society has raised funds for the installation of an information screen in the Library for the benefit of both locals and tourists